December 26, 2011

Writers, Are You Ready for 2012?

I'm not the sort of writer who creates a list of writing goals at the beginning of a new year. Instead, I'll move forward into 2012 eager to see what each day brings. As 2011 ends, these three quotations from famous authors sum up how I feel.


“New Year's Eve is like every other night; there is no pause in the march of the universe, no breathless moment of silence among created things that the passage of another twelve months may be noted; and yet no man has quite the same thoughts this evening that come with the coming of darkness on other nights”
Hamilton Wright Mabie (American writer, 1845-1916)


For last year's words belong to last year's language. And next year's words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning.
T.S. Eliot (British/American poet, 1888-1965)


We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.
Edith Lovejoy Pierce (English poet, 1904-1983)


What inspires you as you enter a word-filled new year? Do you find it helpful to set goals and make resolutions?






7 comments:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Jean -

I've made my share of New Year's goals with mixed results. You've given me some ideas for a post about praying for opportunities.

Blessings,
Susan :)

quietspirit said...

Jean;
I love the quote from Hamilton Wright Mabie. I had the thought the other day that one night changes the perspective. Next Sunday, instead of referring to events that happen this week as last week, we will say, "Oh, that happened last year." And at midnight on Saturday, we will realize that 'next year' is here.

B. J. Robinson said...

Loved the quotes and your blog idea. I'll pray for God to guide me in all of my writing endeavors and for 2012 to be a better year of opportunities for writing for Him. I had 12 devotionals published one year. Blessings, BJ Robinson

Deborah H. Bateman said...

Thanks for sharing your post. I am not one to have every detail like some people are, but I do like to look back into the past year and see what God has done in my life and look forward to the next year to see what He will do.

Janice D. Green said...

I hope to simplify and streamline what I'm trying to do with the hope that I will become more productive. I'm also looking at things I'm going to NOT do as a way of accomplishing the first part.

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

I love Edith's comments! So true, about our writing, and about our lives. I always tend to feel a little trepidation when the year ends and the new one begins. What will life bring us this year? Tears? Joy? Sorrow? Loss? Triumph? Most likely, especially this year, some of each of these. Thank you for another thought provoking blog post!

Karen Lange said...

I find it helpful to set general goals and reassess what's working and what needs to be changed. Trusting the Lord for wisdom for 2012.
Happy New Year blessings,
Karen